The 75 Fantastic Facebook facts below are to help you put the awesome Facebook platform into perspective.
Facebook is a truly massive platform and despite it’s huge size it still continues to grow at an astonishing rate.
Facebook has a key facts page which shares key facts and here are the key facts from there as posted on October 31st, 2013.
1. Facebook has 5,299 employees as of June 30, 2013.
2. 1.15 billion monthly active users as of June 2013.
3. 819 million monthly active users who used Facebook mobile products as of June 30, 2013.
4. 1.15 billion monthly active users as of June 2013.
5. Approximately 80% of our daily active users are outside the U.S. and Canada.
6. Facebook HQ can be found at 1601 Willow Road, Menlo Park, California, 94025.
7. Facebook was founded in 2004.
8. Facebook’s US offices include: Atlanta; Austin; Detroit; Chicago; Dallas; Los Angeles; Miami; New York; Seattle; Washington, DC; Prineville, Oregon.
9. Facebook’s international offices include: Amsterdam; Auckland; Brussels; Buenos Aires; Dubai; Dublin; Hamburg; Hong Kong; Hyderabad; London; Madrid; Melbourne; Mexico City; Milan; Paris; Selangor; Sao Paulo; Seoul; Singapore; Stockholm; Sydney; Tokyo; Toronto; Warsaw.
In addition to the key facts above I have compiled the following fantastic Facebook facts from a variety of sources:
10. People aged 25-34 use Facebook the most.
11. About 5 new Facebook profiles are made every second.
12. Facebook users are 47% male and 53% female.
13. Engagement is 18% higher on Thursdays & Fridays.
14. Over 300 million photos are uploaded every day.
15. The average time spent on Facebook is about 20 minutes.
16. 1 in 5 page views in the US occurs on Facebook.
17. 42% of Marketers say Facebook is critical or important to their business.
18. 77% of B2C companies have acquired customers from Facebook.
19. 72% of marketers handle Facebook in house.
20. Brands have seen a 46% increase in user engagement with the new business Timeline.
21. Auto-posting to Facebook decreases likes and comments by 70%.
22. Consumers who followed a link to a retail site from Facebook spent an average of $102.59.
23. 51% of fans are more likely to purchase from brands the “like” on Facebook.
23. 33% of U.S. online consumers have made a purchase based on recommendations from friends on Facebook.
24. 90% of marketers plan on using Facebook ads in the future.
25. 68% of marketers say that Facebook ads are effective in fan and customer acquisition.
26. The average cost per click on Facebook in 2013 is over $1.14.
27. More than 1 in every 13 people on Earth is on Facebook.
28. Over 71.2 % of all USA internet users are on Facebook.
28. In 20 minutes over 1,000,000 links are shared on Facebook.
29. In 20 minutes over 1,484,000 event invites are posted.
30. In 20 minutes over 1,323,000 photos are tagged.
31. In 20 minutes over 1,851,000 status updates are entered.
32. In 20 minutes over 1.972 million friend requests are accepted.
33. In 20 minutes over 2,716,000 photos are uploaded.
34. In 20 minutes over 2,716,000 messages are sent.
35. In 20 minutes over 10.2 million comments are posted.
36. In 20 minutes over 1,587,000 wall posts are written.
37. 48% of young Americans said they found out about news through Facebook.
38. 48% of 18 to 34 year olds check Facebook right when they wake up.
39. 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day.
40. The average Facebook user has about 130 friends.
41. People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook.
42. There are over 900 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages).
43. An average Facebook is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events.
44. An average Facebook user creates 90 pieces of content each month.
45. More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) are shared each month.
46. More than 70 translations are available on the site (including Pirate English) .
47. About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States.
48. Over 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application.
49. Entrepreneurs and developers from more than 190 countries build with Facebook Platform.
50. People on Facebook install 20 million applications every day.
51. Every month, more than 250 million people engage with Facebook on external websites.
52. Since social plugins launched in April 2010, an average of 10,000 new websites integrate with Facebook every day.
53. More than 2.5 million websites have integrated with Facebook, including over 80 of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and over half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites.
54. There are more than 250 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.
55. People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
56. There are more than 200 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products.
57. Al Pacino’s face was on the original Facebook homepage.
58. One early Facebook function was a file sharing service.
59. The first “Work Networks” as well as the original educational networks included Apple and Microsoft.
60. The meaning of the term poke has never been defined.
61. There is an “App” to see what’s on the Facebook cafe menu.
62. Mark Zuckerburg (CEO of Facebook) calls himself a “Harvard Graduate” when in fact he didn’t graduate (apparently his reply is that “there isn’t a setting for dropout”).
63. Australian’s spend more time per month on Facebook than any other country at over 7 hours on average.
64. A Facebook employee hoodie sold for $4,000 on eBay.
65. Facebook was initially bank-rolled by Peter Thiel the co-founder of PayPal for $500,000.
66. It is the second biggest website by traffic behind Google (at the moment). By some measures Facebook is the #1 largest website since more time is spent on Facebook than Google.
67. Facebook was almost shut down by a lawsuit by ConnectU who claimed that Zuckerburg stole the idea and Technology for Facebook (the issue was settled out of court).
68. The USA has the largest Facebook user base with 155 million people which represents 23.6% of Facebook’s total users.
69. There are over 50 million Facebook pages. (Source)
70. There have been over 1.13 Trillion Likes since launch. (Source)
71. 219 Billion Photos Uploaded. (Data was pulled on 9/10/2012, and represents the total # of photos currently on this site – in other words, it excludes deleted photos. If we wanted to include all photos ever uploaded, the estimate is 265 billion. Photo uploading launched fall 2005.) (Source)
72. 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times – that’s about 210,000 years of music. (Source)
73. 17 billion location-tagged posts, including check-ins. (Source)
74. 140.3 billion friend connections. (Source)
75. Users signing up at this time now have an average of 321 friends. (Source)
Fun Bonus Facebook Facts
- A third of all divorce filings in 2011 contained the word “Facebook.” (Source)
- Iceland used Facebook to rewrite its constitution. (Source)
- About 20% of all photos this year will end up on Facebook. (Source)
- Today’s Facebook users change their profile pictures 3 times as often as they did in 2006. (Source)
What Facebook fact do you find the most fascinating? Do you know an amazing Facebook fact that is not on this list?
Let us know in the comments below!
Latest posts by Garin (see all)
- 7 Fun Facebook Tag Pictures - November 27, 2013
- 5 Powerful Facebook WordPress Plugins - November 26, 2013
- 15 Ways to Prevent Your Facebook Account From Getting Hacked - November 26, 2013