If you are the owner of a WordPress blog and want to know the best Facebook plugin for WordPress in 2014 you are going to love this post.
Not a WordPress owner yet? Check out this guide I wrote about how to get up and running with a WordPress website in just 10 minutes.
I have built up several WordPress powered blogs in the social media niche so naturally I have installed plenty of Facebook plugins to figure out the best way to integrate my sites with Facebook.
This article explains five free Facebook plugins for WordPress that I use turbo-boost my blogs.
1. Official Facebook Post Comments Widget
Previously I recommended Facebook Comments by Fat Panda but now I recommend Facebook Post Comments. The reason is because this plugin is more reliable and does not remove the WordPress commenting.
Zero configuration to get it working – just install and activate.
I recently implemented this commenting plugin into this blog and the install took under a minute!
So far the plugin works but I just deactivated it because comment moderation was not working properly despite following directions from the official Facebook comments plugin page.
2. Official Facebook for WordPress Plugin
The Official Facebook for WordPress Plugin adds Facebook social plugins to your WordPress site.
Associate your WordPress site with a free Facebook application identifier to enable advanced features such as automatically sharing new posts to an author’s Facebook timeline or your site’s Facebook page.
This plugin is developed by Facebook so you can rest assured that the code behind it is solid.
- Open Graph protocol markup optimizes your content for social sharing and rich story previews on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Mixi, and more.
- Facebook Insights support for Facebook accounts associated with a Facebook application.
- Add Like, send, and subscribe buttons to every post to help your site’s readers share content with friends or stay connected to future content shared by your site on Facebook.
- Enable the Facebook Comments Box social plugin to encourage new comments from logged-in Facebook users and his or her Facebook friends. Comments associated with a post are sorted according to social signals including friend networks, most liked, or the most active discussion threads.
- Recommendations Bar helps visitors discover additional content on your site by recommending posts and encouraging Like shares.
- Recommendations Box suggests related posts in a configurable widget.
- Mention Facebook friends and Facebook pages associated with a post.
3. Facebook Share and Like Buttons
The plugin that I currently use that is at the top of this post is called Floating Social Bar.
The plugin I use for the Facebook and Twitter share buttons to the left of this page are from the plugin AddThis Smart Layers.
For the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post check out the plugin shareaholic.
Feel free to use it.
4. Facebook Page Promoter Lightbox
The Facebook Page Promoter Lightbox is a lightbox that shades out your website while highlighting your Like Box.
Although I prefer to use a Lightbox to promote my newsletter, I have tested this method and it is very effective for getting new likes.
If you have a WordPress website with good traffic implement this plugin if you want to run up your fan count fast with new Facebook fans.
The settings for this plugin that can be adjusted are: the Like Box size, delay of the light box, and color of the back shade.
Below is an example of what this plugin can look like.
Want even more likes for your page? Check out our article for 50 tips about how to get more Facebook likes.
5. Facebook Like Box
There are a few different Like Box plugins out there and I recommend you avoid them all.
The reason I recommed this is because if you implement a Facebook Like Box your site will load faster.
When working with the band Micheal Learns to Rock I was able to cut the load time of their site down by 5 seconds when I removed their Like Box plugin and installed the code manually using the widget building tool shown below:
If you are on WordPress simply paste the code generated from this tool into a text widget in your sidebar.
I find that I get more new likes when I paste my Like Box higher on my page and above the fold.
Have you integrated Facebook with your WordPress blog? Let us know in the comments below!
Ready to take your Facebook Page to the next level?Get Rockstar Like Power for Your Facebook Page with Spike My Likes. For a Limited Time You Can Buy One and Get One FREE on all Orders!
Latest posts by Garin (see all)
- 101 Ways to Get More Likes on Facebook - October 29, 2014
- Answers to 7 Frequently Asked Facebook Page Questions - October 22, 2014
- 5 Powerful Facebook WordPress Plugins - July 24, 2014