If you are the owner of a WordPress blog and want to know the best Facebook plugin for WordPress in 2014 you are going to love this post.
Not a WordPress owner yet? Check out this guide I wrote about how to get up and running with a WordPress website in just 10 minutes. 🙂
I have built up several WordPress powered blogs in the social media niche so naturally I have installed plenty of Facebook plugins to figure out the best way to integrate my sites with Facebook.
This article explains five free Facebook plugins for WordPress that I use turbo-boost my blogs.
1. Official Facebook for WordPress Plugin
The Official Facebook for WordPress Plugin adds Facebook social plugins to your WordPress site.
In the comments below someone brought it to my attention that this plugin has not been updated in well over a year, and it only has a 2 star rating.
The plugin does have plenty of downloads, however I do not recommend using it. I have tried using this plugin, only to soon after become frustrated with how it works and delete it.
Nonetheless I will share the features below.
- Open Graph protocol markup optimizes your content for social sharing and rich story previews on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Mixi, and more.
- Facebook Insights support for Facebook accounts associated with a Facebook application.
- Add Like, send, and subscribe buttons to every post to help your site’s readers share content with friends or stay connected to future content shared by your site on Facebook.
- Enable the Facebook Comments Box social plugin to encourage new comments from logged-in Facebook users and his or her Facebook friends. Comments associated with a post are sorted according to social signals including friend networks, most liked, or the most active discussion threads.
- Recommendations Bar helps visitors discover additional content on your site by recommending posts and encouraging Like shares.
- Recommendations Box suggests related posts in a configurable widget.
- Mention Facebook friends and Facebook pages associated with a post.
2. Facebook Page Promoter Lightbox
The Facebook Page Promoter Lightbox is a lightbox that shades out your website while highlighting your Like Box.
Although I prefer to use a Lightbox to promote my newsletter, I have tested this method and it is very effective for getting new likes.
If you have a WordPress website with good traffic implement this plugin if you want to run up your fan count fast with new Facebook fans.
The settings for this plugin that can be adjusted are: the Like Box size, delay of the light box, and color of the back shade.
Below is an example of what this plugin can look like.
Want even more likes for your page? Check out this epic article for 50 great ways to get more Facebook page likes.
3. Facebook Share and Like Buttons
The plugin that I currently use that is at the top of this post is called Floating Social Bar.
The plugin I use for the Facebook and Twitter share buttons to the left of this page are from the plugin AddThis Smart Layers.
For the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post check out the plugin shareaholic.
Feel free to use it. 🙂
4. Facebook Thumb Fixer
Having a problem with your WordPress featured image not showing up as your Facebook thumbnail image? This plugin is for you.
Facebook Thumb Fixer is for those who have the problem where sharing a post on Facebook shows the wrong (or no) thumbnail image.
It works by making sure the thumbnail is derived from the featured image of your post. If your post doesn’t have a featured image then it will use a fall-back image that you can specify.
The plug-in inserts the open graph meta properties, which Facebook and other social services look for when someone shares your page. These properties contain information about the page and of course the image you spec
5. Facebook Page Plugin
The Facebook Page plugin is developed by Facebook and is a great way to integrate your Facebook page with you WordPress site.
The reason I recommend this is because if you implement a Facebook Page Plugin you can get new likes for your page without having to send your traffic away from your site.
The page plugin also shows your call to action button if you have one enabled.
To create a page plugin you use the page plugin widget building tool shown below.
Facebook Page Plugins also give you the option to display friends faces, content from your page.
The best way to integrate the code you get is to copy and paste the code generated from the widget builder into a text widget in your sidebar.
I find that I get more new likes when I place my page plugin higher in my sidebar and above the fold.
Have you integrated any Facebook plugins with your WordPress blog? Let us know in the comments below!
Latest posts by Garin (see all)
- 15 Facebook Security Tips to Save Your Account From Getting Hacked - November 4, 2017
- 50 GREAT Ways To Get More Facebook Page Likes - October 17, 2017
- 101 Ways to GET MORE LIKES on Facebook - September 21, 2017